How did we imagine things before film? Before photography? Think of the massive shift in the way our species perceives the world brought about by this single invention in this century alone. But then again – is it one invention? Or many? This week we’ll open our discussion on what film was, is, and will be. We will begin to understand the world around film, behind film, and on film. Few very early films survive, and we will watch most of them on our first day in class. We will also look ahead to the semester’s material and discuss the term requirements, building a new syllabus specific to this class together.
There is no reading this week.
This week we will try to hammer out more logistics and set up the blog, becoming familiar with it during class time. Tasks include:
- Setting up a wordpress account
- Making a test comment
- Agreeing upon a screening time/location
- Becoming basically familiar with the workings of iMovie
- Discussing the Video Essay and Final Project more in depth
- Discussing notes and reading material
The videos we are watching this week are included below: